Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Lancetilla Botanical Garden, Tela, Honduras


Lancetilla is the 2nd largest Botanical Garden in the world.  Who would have known that Honduras has so many 2nd largest things.  They have the 2nd largest amazon and the 2nd largest coral reef to dive over.  I couldn't wait to go to the Botanical Garden's and mark it have my to do list of the world.  When I was walking around the gardens Astrid kept saying to me, its like we are in Narnia or Avatar.  I couldn't agree more with her.  It definitely made me feel like I was in another world.  I only wish it hadn't been raining so much lately because we weren't able to explore all the area's we wanted too, too dangerous to get stuck.  Enjoy the scenery in the photos, I know I did.



Once we entered deeper into the park you were just covered with these trees that created an archway.  It was breathtaking to feel enclosed by nature and just loose yourself looking up into the sky. I loved this point of view and found it to be beautiful. 


The walkways were enclosed with plants that were taller then all of us.



This tree, like many of them there reminded me of the tree's that the avatar people lived in. I couldn't believe how huge they were and this one isn't even one of the largest ones, I couldn't get it all in the photos.


Ants that were huge and carrying chunks of leaves to their nests.  The holes where they were living were bigger then my thighs.  I couldn't believe the size of these things and I got lucky.  I was the typical dumb tourist just walking around with my face into my camera and I stopped to take photos.  Astrid looked down and freaked out informing me that I was standing in the middle of their path.  I was so lucky they didn't bite the crap out of me.



The ants are just eating away at all the plants, its quite sad but I guess that is how nature is.  And the world goes on.





I wanted to end with this breathtaking photo of the walkway that I mentioned earlier.  I couldn't believe how huge it was first off and how they were just naturally creating this arch. It was so gorgeous.



10 comments: